Search This Blog

Sunday 5 January 2014

Delice de Bourgogne avec Honey

Besides the cheeses I typically find at my local grocery store,  I am a complete newbie in the world of fancy, classy, smelly, bacteria filled cheeses.  A step inside a store which sells only cheeses from all over the world truly intimidates me.  The pungent smell of hundreds types of cheeses permeate into open pores, the ridiculously but rightfully so, high price points,  the colour, shapes and sizes, the contradiction of the offending smell to the surprisingly wonderful flavour of each cheese is confusing to my confused sensory system.

I am afraid but equally curious.  However, this curiously has the ability to burn a hole in my wallet so I can only afford to write a snobbish cheese post ...... once a year ...or once every two years. So let's make this count eh?!  

I never planned on blogging about this when I first brought a tiny slab of this Delice de Bourgogne.  I had the cheesemonger picked something that will heighten my palette.  It was kinda like a eenie meenie miney mo situation that worked out real well for my taste buds, not so well with my wallet.  So in order to make it count, truly enjoy this (tiny) creamy slab of cheese, research and knowledge of this kind just had to be done. 

Delice de Bourgogne originated from Burgundy, a region in France, by the Lincet family who has continually produced renown cheeses under the brand Fromagerie Lincet since 1895.  Made with full fat French cow milk, this triple-cream cheese is truly decadent, velvety smooth and slightly strong in flavour.   A 4.5lb rind, the protective rind is described as bloomy, pungent with a bitter after taste but surprisingly, cut the rind in half, the middle is gooey, creamy soft, tasting nothing like its protective rind.  

Now you may ask, how the heck did I figure out by adding a tiny drizzle of honey overtop of a slab of Delice de Bourgogne would taste like a symphony of goodness?  It took me a night to figure it out.  

You should know, I am a huge fanatic on Anthony Bourdain's around the world food adventures.  I first discovered him when Food Network gave him his very very first show; "The Cook's Tour" after he had been made famous on his written book "Kitchen Confidential" which I have yet to read.   In my $400 /month room back in my college days, while buried under fabrics and threads, I followed him virtually every country he went to.  He ate all kinds of dishes each country, each culture, each region, each neighbourhood had to offer.  After Food Network, Travel Channel offered his own show; "Anthony Bourdain; No Reservations" Same concept but filmed and directed far better, I watched all the episodes.  I continue to follow his new show now on CNN "Anthony Bourdain; Parts Unknown"  Same concept but he ventures off to countries where many dare not go due to political upheavals.

So last night, not knowing exactly which show or which episode he ate loads of rich, smooth, creamy cheeses, not remembering which country he was in, my brain picked up this scene, where the camera, artfully posed at the various types of creamy, oozing, rich slabs of cheese on a porcelain white china, beside it, a small white porcelain bowl, with the honey spoon tucked in, the camera focuses on a particular creamy white cheese while someone drizzles a bit of the honey overtop.

Yup.  It was a memory of a scene from a show that got me to drizzle honey on Delice de Bourgogne.  and O M G....... while the honey was only store brought, not at all the snobbish, out of your mind expensive honey..... it paired sooooo well with the creamy cheese.  O M G.  This is why I had to share this.  This is why I decided to make my first snobbish cheese post.

Btw, I tried drizzling the honey overtop of the yummy cream cheese spread I had also brought from the same cheesemonger....not the same affect.  In fact, it did nothing.  The sharp tang of the smooth cream cheese overpowered the honey; essentially, wiping out the sweet taste of honey.

So I must point out, the drizzle of honey is not suited for all creamy gooey cheese. :D But Delice de Bourgogne avec Honey,  definately works. :)















No comments:

Post a Comment