Search This Blog

Sunday 1 September 2013

Hong Kong style Spam & Egg Macaroni Soup

Like Dim Sum, "Cha Chaan Teng" are highly popular in Hong Kong.  Translated to "Tea restaurant" which serves cheap, western influence food to the locals.  To cater to the fast pace, over worked individuals in HK, Cha Chaan Tengs were the ideal place, to go eat.  Order in one minute and eat the next, the bill handed to you even before you finish your last 3 bites.  If Guy Fieri were to step into any Cha Chaan Teng, you can be sure he'll be given the cold shoulder should he attempt to make a conversation with the waitresses or chefs.   The way of lifestyle in Hong Kong is pure efficiency.  No time to slow down.  It would be silly to stop and smile at the sun when you should be at the office making the company money.

While this sort of lifestyle is not easy to adapt to, Hong Kong food makes up for it.  Maybe because I am Hong Kongese but I truly think, canton food surpasses many others.  Its comfort food.  For the most part, there's nothing healthy about canton food!  Most noodle dishes are drenched in oil.  Every dish in every single chinese restaurant contains MSG (unless stated otherwise).  Soya sauce, oyster sauce are the #1 condiment which contains high sodium.  For heavens golly, my kind eat all types of intestines like its nothing. (let's clarify, intestines and me are not friends, trust me, I tried)  Even so, canton food makes me a happy individual.

Which brings me back to my original topic "Spam & Egg Macaroni Soup" Every time I eat at a Cha Chaan Teng here in Toronto, 9/10 times, I have their Ham & Egg macaroni soup.  This is an uberly cheap western style dish that steals my heart time after time.  There's nothing special about it.  Trust me.  Ham, fried egg over top a bowl of macaroni in chicken stock soup.  The best ones uses a milky broth.  Winner! Only problem, after a bowl of this, I'm like a baby latched only a water bottle quenching my thirst due to high amounts of MSG.

The last time I nursed a water bottle after a bowl of this was my first visit back to motherland 2.5 years ago.  My very first meal was at Mc.Donalds; a bowl of sausage and egg macaroni soup, hashbrown and a cup of the cantonese milk tea.  Oh happy kicking legs!! (I would have clapped as well, but they were busy feeding me :D)

ahhhhhh yummmmmmmmmms

So 2.5 years later, I finally decided to make my own.  Seriously! I really shouldn't deprived myself of such luxury!!

This may not be at all healthy considering I live and eat a pretty healthy lifestyle but every once in a while, you are allowed cheat meals!  This is mine. :) I'll try not to make a habit out of it though :D

Spam & Egg Macaroni Soup
To make the stock.  Simpy choose your favorite chicken stock, boxed, cubed, freshly made, whatever!  Add 3-4 cups of stock to pot.  Add a tiny slice of ginger, one finely grated garlic, salt & white pepper and green onion stalks.  Allow to simmer for 10-15mins.

Prepare the macaroni according to package.

Pan-fry slices of spam and one egg.

If you want to add veggies, pan fry a few stalks.  I used chinese broccoli.

Once all of the above is ready and cooked, reheat the chicken stock.  Once it begins to bubble, add 1/2 cup milk.  or alternatively, use soy milk! this is what makes your soup milky, and creamy. A perfect combo with macaroni :)  Turn off heat once it begins to bubble again.

In your eating bowl, add macaroni, spam, egg & vegetables.  Pour the soup stock over top. :)






Duoohhh.  I really should consider getting a new cam no?!! Sorry people.  The final picture truly deserves more than what you see.  Maybe I was sooo darn excited to eat this bowl rather than stay still for a few moments to snap a few proper, not so blurry shots.  Sign.  Anyhow, the picture may be disappointing but my tummy and my soul was a happy happy camper.

Enjoy!








1 comment:

  1. Thank you! You're the only recipe that I've found that creates a macaroni soup the way I remember it. So many fond memories of eating the McDonald's version on the ferry from Mui Wo to Central...

    ReplyDelete