Search This Blog

Saturday 1 June 2013

Gyudon - Japanese style beef on rice

It was at Don Don Izakaya on Dundas St. (Izakaya - being a Japanese restaurant serving tapas style dishes) where I had my first bowl of Gyudon.  Such a simple dish, memorable in flavour, perfect in portion and if I closed my eyes.... sitting right at the bar, inhaling the smoky smell of different meats & goods grilling on the charcoal grill top, I can imagine myself .......no wait.... stop day dreaming.

Unfortunately for me, the tapas at Don Don was not as memorable as their Gyudon.  Being 85% vegetarian, I almost never order meat dishes in any restaurants.  So I was quite surprised at myself when I ordered Gyudon and loved it.  I even went back with another coworker during lunch just to eat the same dish again the same week!  

Lately, I've been watching a lot of videos on how to make Japanese dishes.  Based on my research, there is not one of the same way on how to make Gyudon.  Different parts of Japan has personalized their version of Gyudon.   Some made sweeter than others, some very litter ginger to lots of ginger.  So I've based my recipe on the memory of Don Don's, which was slightly on the sweeter side but well balanced with the sharp lovely taste of ginger.  For those who does not like the taste of ginger, this dish may not be for you.  Alter the amount of sugar and ginger according to your taste.  I love the sharp taste of ginger with the beef so I did up my ginger portion compared to most recipes.

Ingredients:
1.  1 cup of lightly brewed green tea - you can use water instead.  Lately, I've been using green tea as the base of Asian soup broths.  You don't taste the green tea but it does add a bit of dimension to your dish.
2.  1/3 cup of beef stock
3.  1 tbsp of mirin - if you have sake, I would add 1tbsp of it too
4/  2.5 tbsp of brown sugar
5.  2.5 tbsp of soya sauce
6.  1.5 tsp of apple vinegar
7.  1 clove of garlic - minced
8.  3 tbsp of ginger - julienne
9.  60g of thinly sliced beef (purchase from any Asian grocery)
10.  1/2 of a big onion or more if you wish
11.  300g of thinly sliced  beef - uncooked
From top left to bottom right: simmering sauce, onions cooking in sauce, beef & onions, beef in sauce

Directions
1.  Pour ingredients #1 - 9 in a pot, turn heat to medium until the liquid starts to bubble.  Once bubbling, turn down heat to low and allow to simmer for 20-25mins, stir once in a while.
2.  After the sauce has simmered for allotted time, take out the beef from the pot.  The 60g of beef was only used to flavour the sauce.  You can use the beef to make a beef omelette or beef fried rice.  Once you have taken out the beef, add in your onions and allow to cook until translucent on medium heat.  This will take about 15mins.  
3.  Once onion is cooked, your sauce will have somewhat reduced.  Add in the rest of the uncooked slice beef and stir until thoroughly cooked and the meat is no longer pink.  Once the beef is cooked. Turn off the heat.  Don't over cook the beef! 
4.  The typical way of eating this is in one bowl.  So, in a small eating bowl, add your desired amount of rice.  Next, add desired amount of the beef dish right over top of the rice.  Add a couple spoons of the sauce.  Many areas in Japan eat this dish topped with a raw egg & pickled ginger.  Since my eggs aren't straight from the farm, I'll soft boil mine and will top with pickled ginger. :)  Itadakimasu!! 
Soft boiled egg

Itadakimasu!!! :D 











No comments:

Post a Comment